What’s in Your Food?
Made You a Salad… Typical Saturday Purchase at a Box Store, From the AD!!
Seems the trend these days, when buying produce, is Eating Healthy. But suppose for a minute, you actually know, what’s in your store bought packaged soil???Or do you want to know? Or, do you care, as long as the label states, It’s Organic? (By Federal Law, anything labeled Organic, only has to meet 85% organic, and the other 15%, they don’t have to divulge)From my findings on just Hay Field Crops alone, with the induction of 2-4D and Glyphosate, and Cow and Horse manure having these chemicals in them for up to 4 years after being eliminated by the animal and folks re-using the composted manure, then, crops failing, well, I love helping these Community Gardeners get going without the “free stuff”.Most folks, even the Balcony Gardeners, have a sense of what they are gardening with. But the Community Gardeners, have several “guests” in their plot. There should be a Community Rule, of NO Chemicals Here set up…. OR, be managed by a Personal Garden Coach who could monitor, educate, and help find sources of conditioners, compost, and other avenues of “pureness” in that community plot.Some of these plots, are steadfastly overseen by the elders, who won’t tolerate Box Store Ads or advice. They will tell you, “They just don’t make sense”. After all, they didn’t have those bagged, boxed, bottled goods when they were young, and they ate good!!Over the years, I have seen some flourish, get row by row, bigger by the year, and then others, fail and quit. Some, make a profit, selling off surplus to restaurants, others, donating to local Homeless Shelters. Whatever you do, DON’T QUIT!!One of the best reasons in Community Gardening, is the companionship developed in the age brackets. Some of the best Saturday mornings are spent weeding, picking, pinching back, watering, and then delivering fresh produce either via shopping cart, bike with a basket, and yes, even a golf cart. The lawn chairs are left for others, to come work as their time permits, as picked produce, are left in bags for them as well.I could go on, but remember, “Community Gardening” does not stop in the plot.. There are other venues, such as a Veterans Center, Hospice Ward, Retirement Home, Courtyard in an Apartment Complex, or just your own Cul-de-sac neighborhood. What are those useless center plots for anyway?Think about it. Find it. Organize it. It’s time to really find that spot to eat healthy and, well, mostly free!!
Sign up for more Gardening News and Insights and in the Richmond Va area, if you need help, it’s time to get your indoor seed starting gear together. I have special rates to get you going, the cheap way and successfully growing. Simply email me at Kevin@Kevinsgarden.com